Thursday, November 12, 2009

A little bit about me and my painting







I love to paint. Besides spending time with my family it is absolutely my favorite activity. Drawing and painting have been my outlet for as long as I can remember. I completed a BFA from Brigham Young University with an emphasis in painting in 1993. Since then I have been painting along the way. I'm currently living in Pennsylvania and am married with three children ages 15, 12, and 7. They are used to me always having a painting project going. When I'm not working on commisioned work I sometimes go into the woods behind my house or sit quietly somewhere and work up a sketch for a piece of my creative work. I have been painting a lot of abstracted landscapes, or paintings about something but inspired by landscapes. Before that I was painting chairs in many different ways but most often an empty one sitting by a window. Then after a trip to the Olympia Rain Forest in Washington I was so moved by the strong verticals of the forest (I had never seen trees so tall or forests so dense). When you are inside the forest and looking towards the outside it's like looking out of the window of a cathedral to the light coming in. Sometimes I miss the desert in Utah where I grew up and I paint a painting inspired by it, from one of the many photographs that I have taken while visiting. Here is a sampling of some of my creative work over the years.

1 comment: